Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Definition of Literacy

Literacy, although it has been broadly defined as an ability to read and write, has a social connotation. It is a communicative tool that enables individuals to function in a society and interact effectively with members of their community. It is empowering in that it equips individuals with skills that separate them from others who may not have, perhaps due to their socioeconomic backgrounds, been exposed to it.

Teachers in high schools and universities should be trained in using technology and apply those skills to their teaching of close reading and effective, clear writing. For instance, after I complete ENG 808, I intend to apply the information I have learned in this course to my teaching at the college level and hopefully incorporate PowerPoint presentations or computer-assisted programs into my courses. Of course, in order for me to implement that, I need to first learn how to overcome my own frustration with using the computer for instruction purposes. Although I have been using the computer to check my email, pay my credit card bills, and prepare course assignments, I have refrained from using it for other purposes. I am willing to learn new skills to be able to use the computer in a classroom setting, but sometimes I feel uncomfortable because there is not much prior knowledge to assist me.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Basak, I think the idea that we must confront our own fears of the changes and technology is crucial to moving forward with new ideas.

Sarah Henderson Lee said...

I wish I could comment as a princess, but I simply can't.

I think you are right on when you say that today's teachers must be trained in technology. The case is so easy to make when you understand technology and literacy as one.

Beth W. said...

Please let me know when you write a textbook because I will buy it. This is nicely phrased.

Anna Harrington said...

Very nicely written...and I agree about literacy as a communication tool.

Sabatino Mangini said...

Yeah...we cannot ignore technology as a vaulable tool toward literacy and the process of writing.